Sunday, February 13, 2011

Nutella Wontons

Remember all the stuff I said about not being a baker?  Well, I lied! ;)  I have one more addition to your Valentines Day meal.  Nutella Wontons.  I could just end the post right here.  Enough said.  But, I'll do you the favor of explaining further ;).   I cannot take credit for this idea what so ever, this is a Giada De Laurentis recipe that I only tweaked, and boy am I glad I tried these.  Made them this afternoon after wanting to try them for about a year.  It was a nice afternoon treat and early Valentines Day surprise for the hubby.  He said "waking up from a Sunday afternoon nap to the smell of warm Nutella isn't half bad....it's hard work being married to you, but somebody's gotta do it":) 

Anyway, these are easy, unique and ever so fantastic.  Crispy wontons with creamy, gooey Nutella and any fruit you want to add.  Or none at all!  I have to say that this recipe had me at Nutella, but I added banana's and I made a quick raspberry sauce by blending frozen raspberries and a a little Splenda in the blender and warming it for a few minutes in a sauce pan.  Which put them OVER THE TOP, such a good combo with the rich Nutella, plus I love desserts that you dip into things.  Makes it much for fun!  You could add strawberries or mango or even more hazelnuts.  If you're not familiar with Nutella, it's a chocolate spread made with hazelnuts that is the European equivalent to Peanut Butter.  Boy am I glad it's become so popular recently and the world can share in my love affair with Nutella!

Giada made these by frying them in oil and I baked them instead......much lower in fat and just as crispy and good.  A little less stressful to make as well.  Anytime frying something in hot oil is in the equation we up the ante on the difficulty level.  And I always want to take it easy on you cooks out there. ;)  If you have kids, they will love these!  My mom always used to make a special Valentines Day dinner for us when we were kids and these would be the perfect dessert for a couples dinner OR a family meal.

Nutella Wontons
  • 16 wonton wrappers
  • 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
  • 1 cup Nutella
  • Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • Powdered sugar, for dusting
  • Banana sliced into skinny rounds 

Directions

Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Place 1 wonton wrapper on the work surface. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with egg. You may have large wonton wrappers like I did, so you may have to cut some of the wrapper to make it closer to a 3.5 x 3.5 size wrapper.  Spoon 1 cup of Nutella into a large ziplock baggie and push it all into one corner of the bag, snip a tiny bit of the bag at the corner, making a home-made pastry bag.  A VERY small snip so it doesn't coming pouring out. 

Place about 3/4 tablespoon Nutella into the center of the wrapper and place the banana on top of the Nutella.  Fold over the wrapper over, into a triangle shape and seal with a bit more of the egg wash.  Lay on baking sheet.   Repeat this process.  I only made 8 of them, 16 would have been way too much for us, so just cut the recipe in half if you're making this for two.  Making it for the whole family?  Make all 16!  They'll go fast :)

Bake on 350 for 4 minutes on each side.  They'll be golden and crispy.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and wait a few minutes before serving, they'll be hot!

Oh and here's an adaptation of the recipe from the Tasty Kitchen which has lots of great pics for a visual on the assembly.  BUT SKIP the step of frying them in oil!  Click here.

Happy Valentines Day!   Run out and get the ingredients, you'll thank me for it! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment